At least according to the girl sitting behind me on the bus today. She and her friend were discussing other friends who had applied for the Summer III program, but chosen to accept other internships. Both girls were in utter disbelief that a nursing student could turn down an offer to work at the Mayo Clinic in favor of some other internship--after all, nothing else could be quite as prestigious.
Six months ago, I would have been in hearty agreement with them. Miss the opportunity to intern at one of the nation's premiere health care facilities? Never! And of course, if the possibility of coming to work for them full-time was offered, I would have seized the opportunity without a second thought.
But I find my mindset changing somehow. I am still abundantly grateful for the opportunity to be here, and even when those difficult, nitty-gritty days come, I don't think I would trade this summer for anything. But other realizations are dawning, slowly but convincingly--like, the world's most elite or financially lucrative job means nothing if your life outside of work isn't as rich and fulfilling. And that sort of fulfillment comes from a select number of things in my life: communion with God through Christ, the love and presence of my family, the companionship and camaraderie of my close friends.
So what does all that translate into for my life and future? Not sure yet. But as I am learning daily what are the true priorities in my life, the drive and desire for the impressive and prestigious is being tempered by gratitude and appreciation of the richer and more precious things in life. If I am so blessed as to be able to possess both at some point in my life, I certainly won't complain. But given the choice between the two, I know with conviction which I would take, time after time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Prestige, to me, is not a place but an action. It is what you do and the honor with which you do it. The hospital in Lima is just as honorable as the hospital in Santa Monica or the Mayo clinic. It is you and the people around you that make it renowned. And as for what is important in life, whatever your higher power they walk with you every moment, your family is always close at hand and to have friends you must be a friend. What fun philosophizing. Love you, keep your heart open. XXO Peg.
Post a Comment