Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Say Good-night, Gracie...

I worked from 1530-2330 tonight (3:30-11:30 pm for those who don't do military time) and we stayed pretty busy throughout the evening. At the end of shift, I made the trek to the parking garage (Mayo is HUGE--I probably walk close to a mile round trip from my car to the ER). As I pulled out of the garage and onto the street, I heard the familiar, adrenaline-inspiring sound of the Mayo One helicopter landing, most likely bringing an acutely ill patient to the ER. The lights were shimmering, and I could just barely make out the forms of the air medics as they jumped onto the tarmac and started unloading their patient.

For a moment, there was an urge inside to turn back--to return to the floor, see what was going on, help in the limited way that I am able in those situations. But that feeling was quickly mellowed with gratitude--the awareness that when we go home from our day's work, others come to replace us, to carry on the work we have been doing.

There is a huge pressure in our society to prove our worth, our importance to those around us. We strive to be crucial, almost indispensable, in whatever our field, so that there will never be any question as to whether or not we're really needed. But that drive to prove ourselves can lead to so many unhealthy and destructive behaviors--and those around us, our families, our co-workers, our clients--many times they bear the weight of our actions.

So tonight, it was good to be replaceable--to know that while I go home and rest my body and my mind, there are other hands and minds which can step in and do exactly the same work (and most certainly do it better!) Tomorrow is another day, and I'll be back, helping and caring and learning once again. But for now...

Good night :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Guilty on all counts.