Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Three Hour Tour...

Well, not quite that--and don't worry, this tour can be enjoyed from the comfort of your own home--no need to worry about getting stranded on some desert island with quirky characters.
What we have here is a little mini-photo tour of Rochester and the surrounding area, courtesy of my wonderful roommate Camille's camera (as mine is currently out of commission.) Hope you enjoy them!














On Monday of this past week, Camille and I headed over to an ice cream social sponsored by a community group for mentally disabled individuals. Besides great ice cream and carnival games, there was also some guy in a gorilla outfit, seen at left. After confiding in Camille how uneasy these types make me, she very sensitively motioned him over and asked for a picture. I would interpret my look here as something along the lines of, "Gee thanks, Camille...just remember, I know where you sleep at night." Of course, Camille then offered to have her picture taken as well...notice how much happier she looks in her's!

After the ice cream social, we trekked back downtown, and Camille caught this great picture of the Kahler Hotel. The hotel was opened just a short time after St. Mary's Hospital opened (the portion of the Clinic where I work in the ER) and it originally served as a convalescent building for patients who had undergone their treatment but were unable to travel back to their homes right away. During our orientation, we spent some time there, and the building is really quite beautiful.

After the ice cream social, we headed downtown to find a good place to eat (we were employing the "dessert-first" method that evening). We wandered into Chester's Kitchen, which turned out to be a trendy little place (for which we were slightly underdressed, but nobody really seemed to care much). The food was great, and when Camille pulled out her camera to get a picture of us, a friendly lady who was just passing our table offered to take this--voila! She told us it was her first time using a digital camera, and when we showed her the picture she had taken, she was pretty proud of herself!

On the left is the fountain which was in the plaza just outside of the restaurant we ate it. The picture does not do it justice--up close it's really beautiful, although you get pretty wet checking it out! The picture above is one of the more unique and amazing Barnes and Noble's I've seen--it's housed in what an old theater, and leaving the marquee outside gives it such a cool feel.
Well, that's all for now, folks. There are more pictures coming--from our day trip to Lanesboro,a cute little town about an hour south of Rochester, and maybe some other fun stuff as well. Hope you enjoyed the tour--and I wish you all could come visit and see it in person with me :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the pics of my hometown. I saw many a movie at the Chateau - even went on my first date there, if I remember correctly. We have visited the St Mary's ER - when Hank had one of his notorious kidney stones. The kids were really little, Matt a baby. We were in Roch for a family reunion and he woke up about 1:30 a.m. and said, "I have a kidney stone." So we bundled the kids up, I drove him to St. Mary's and the kids slept on chairs in the waiting room while we waited for the stone to pass. Always an adventure! We are going to see Margie on 7/19&20. A very quick trip. We miss her and Matt but are so glad they are doing what they love and know God has led them to. Have you met Kristen, the nursing student from Cedarville? Sorry I never did learn her last name. Love, Mom T

Anonymous said...

It's great that you get a chance to play. You know that saying about Jack being a dull boy and such. I love that photo of the two of you. your smiles are priceless and genuine. I await your next entry with great eagerness.