My family arrived Friday evening while I was working, so I didn't see them until Saturday morning, when we had brunch together downtown. The week has flown by--a tour of Mayowood (the Mayo family mansion), an excursion up to the Cities, a day at the Mall of America--and lots and lots of family time.
After living on my own, I am realizing how much of a difference there is between living on your own and being with your family. The past six weeks, I've been my own boss--went to bed and woke up when I wanted to, ate the food I wanted, gone to the places that interested me. Families mean a a jumble of opinions and preferences and dislikes (sometimes opposing), which have to somehow be discussed and synthesized in order to do anything.
And I realized, I'm fortunate--my family is pretty good at that. Sure, we have our tense moments, but who doesn't? Traveling with my family helps me move outside of myself, to consider what others are thinking and feeling. And somehow, we also have fun--even when things are rotten, we can still find something to laugh about.
I realized that the older I become, the more my chances to particpate in family vacations decrease. Hopefully someday, I'll get to do this with my own family, a husband and kids. Until then, I'm grateful for trip that comes along.
Mom, Dad, Hannah--I love you :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
It's family time! Hehe cute entry though, I liked it a lot. I love you too and we will talk to you very soon! :)
~Hannah
P.S. Chad?! What the...?
Hey Sarah, your family vacation is successful right out of the gate because everyone gets a window seat - whoo-hoo!!!! Sarah - I so enjoy reading your blog. keep up the good work!!
Aunt Lynda
P.S. Chad?! What the . . .?
Aunt Lynda
So who is this Chad that has come up on the blog comments????????? We love you Sarah and miss you dearly. I think that you should write about this Chad.
Well, I'm afraid it's not that exciting--Hannah was quoting one of our favorite commercials--you know, the ones with the Chad the Alltell guy and the four other dorky "competitors". We probably saw it about 10 million times while watching TV, so it was fresh in our minds :)
Exhibit #1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjCMRZGdV54
Enjoy :)
eh gads! If you think families get complicated on vacation, wait till you start dealing with them in a hospital setting.So much stuff comes up and you see the ambivalence, fragility and overcompensation that manifests itself when those we love and sometimes don't love become sick. I think it is a fascinating aspect of nursing and always a challenge to work with these situations. Are you seeing what i am trying to describe?
It was nice that all could come to visit. love, Aunt Pat
Post a Comment