Saturday, August 9, 2008

"Every Time We Say Goodbye..."

Last night marked the end of time in the Emergency Department--I couldn't have asked for a better shift to finish my stay. As I made my way through the familiar halls towards the parking ramp in the wee hours of the morning, I was overwhelmed with the knowledge that this could be the last time I made this journey. I knew I would enjoy my time at Mayo, even before I came way back in June--I just didn't anticipate that I would become so attached to it so quickly. And unlike when I leave school at the end of a semester, there's no promise that I'll be back.

I spent the day packing up my belongings and cleaning the apartment, which is woefully quiet and empty, as Camille has left and Echo and her family have packed most of her things and are staying at their hotel this evening. Being the procrastinator I am, this evening finds me probably 60% packed--but rather than being at the apartment finishing up, I'm at Caribou Coffee, enjoying the free wireless and an iced coffee purchased with the gift card Vince gave me last night ("Here," he said, "something to keep you awake while you're driving tomorrow.") I'm ready to leave, to spend a week in Chicago working at a health clinic for my practicum and then (finally) make my way home next Saturday. I'm just struggling with the transition--wouldn't it be lovely to be able to snap my fingers and find my stuff packed, the car loaded, and be ready to go?

But eventually everything will find a place, and I'll leave, bringing with me more than just physical possessions, but new memories, knowledge, experiences--my life is richer because of my time here. And I'm so excited to come back to my loved ones and share what I've found and how I've grown, and simply enjoy once again being in their presence.

Mom, Dad, Hannah, all of my wonderful, supportive, amazing family, my dear friends who are practically family--I love each and every one of you so very much. See you soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey sarah its grace just thought i should say HI and i luv the pic see u later
Grace chew :)

P.S. LOVE UR BLOG :D